Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Assignment #1

Mathematics. A word that, to many people, means something different. Elementary addition? Middle school algebra? High School calculus? Or how about long story problems? Or real-life measurements and areas? Math is something that is used in everyday life. So therefore each person needs to find their own style of "mathematics". Yet, to me? Math is in and around EVERYTHING.

Mathematics, as I said, can be the simple multiplication used in math classes. Yet, it can also be the dimensions of an object, a room, or a building. Math can also be the weight of a fruit and the mileage to my hometown. Or how about the simple numbers used in math? Counting the money one has, the number of songs someone has in their iTunes, or even the number of friends they have in Facebook. Mathematics is a HUGE concept. It is used everywhere. Whether people realize it or not.

How do I learn math best? This can be quite a difficult question. Yet, I feel the easiest way to learn math is by applying it to my life and the things I do. In explaining a concept, I've always found it easiest to understand when someone describes it by things I enjoy doing: sports, music, etc. This is how I feel my students will learn best. I feel a teacher should take the time to get to know their students and the things they enjoy participating in. They can then describe mathematics in a way their mind works, whether that be through football plays, music or dance beats, or even by using hands-on examples.

One of the things I find math teachers are getting better at is the different ways they are teaching. Many teachers are now understanding that students ALL learn in different ways and therefore use different styles to teach the same concept. My high school calculus teacher was amazing. He knew so many ways to describe the same concept. No one was stumped in the class. If you didn't understand it the first time, in coming to him for help, my teacher could describe it in just the perfect manner for your mind to wrap around the principle.

Some of the small and simple things teachers do or don't do, are actually extremely detrimental to students' learning. One of the things I feel math teachers don't do enough, is like I stated earlier, simply getting to know their students. One of the best teachers I ever had genuinely cared about his students. He wanted us to do well and cared for each of our well-beings. He therefore did all he could to help us use or skills, live up to our potential, and then receive the grade we deserved. If teachers simply got to know the characteristics of their students, the activities they find joy in, and the life they live, I feel students would feel more willing to learn and look to the teacher for help.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked how you started your blog. It got me sucked into the page, within the first few sentences. I like the way that you explained how you learned best, but some students aren't all like that. I learn best from notes. Relating things to sports is okay, but writing concepts down and being able to look back at notes help me the best. You really have to look at all of your students and asses each person's need. I like how your calc teacher took numerous approaches to explain something. Everyone was able to be helped by looking at it from different perspectives. I agree with you that it is very important for the teacher to care about the students. Most teachers now don't understand that, but at the same time, you need to expect a lot from all your students. Even the ones you know will probably won't succeed need to be pushed beyond themselves. Altogether, I think you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you on how teachers need to work hard to understand their students needs. It's SO important, especially for such a difficult subject as math, to really understand how your students learn so that you can then know how to best approach a subject. The one thing that I don't quite agree with is how you said your students will learn best. While striving to teach all your students in a way that they can all understand is a good goal, having grown up in Utah I've learned that its almost impossible to do that. When you have over 30 students in your class, you need to teach in such a way that the MAJORITY can learn, not cater to each individual student. If you try such catering, you'll find that you won't get through all the material that your students need to learn throughout the course. I do think, however, that overall, your ideas of how to approach math are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you defined math you seem to name a lot of different kinds of numbers and measurements. You also mentioned multiplying. Are you suggesting that math is numbers and the manipulation of numbers? Can you do math without any numbers? What is the purpose of math? I agree that math can be found anywhere.
    It is a lot easier to learn something when you feel it has value and application in your personal life.
    I really like the emphasis you put on getting to know the students and care about them. It's a lot easier to learn when I feel someone is on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there are multiple ways for students to learn and it is always helpful when the teacher recognizes that. It is also very helpful when the teacher genuinely wants to help each student. However, I do believe that there needs to be some limit to how much time is spent teaching the same topic in several different ways because that could last too long. It would be important to find a few methods in which most of the class learns best and then if any other students continue to have problems they can get help personally. I really liked your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete